Region, Subregion, Country:
The Sala’s history dates back to 1260. It was under the name of Grande Terra Murata, owned by the Giandonati noble family. At the beginning of the 15th century, the land was sold theAcciaiuoli, in 1534 to the Grand Duke of Tuscany Alessandro De’Medici and finally to the Corsini family. Between 1981 and 2014, the property was owned by LauraBaronti, who together with Gabriella Tani, the oenologist, helped La Sala to become one of the most prominent wine companies of the Chianti Classico. In 2014 Francesco Rossi Ferrini makes a dream come true by creating wine and olive oil of superior quality in the beautiful area of San Casciano Val di Pesa in Tuscany. He already owned the Il Torriano farm – now also a beautiful farm stay – with its renowned Merlot and Sangiovese vineyards. The new estate has several fields at different altitudes and types of sun exposure; this guarantees excellent harvests even in toughest years. Today, over 70 hectares (173 acres), belong to La Sala, of which 32 (79 acres) are dedicated to vines, 27.6 (68 acres) of these are part of the Chianti Classico. The vineyards have altitudes between 150 and 350 meters above sea level. In recent years, important investments have been made on the company, the winery and the vineyards have been modernised and upgraded to enhance the product and the brand.